Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dear Reader

Dear Reader,

For my project, I decided that I would like to learn how to sew, and then start designing and making my own clothes. I have always been interested in fashion, and I have frequently drawn designs for dresses and outfits, however I have never known how to create them. As of yet, I haven't been able to learn how to sew due to a shortage of time and patience, but now that I'm older, and I have this golden opportunity of actually having time, I decided that learning this new skill would be a good way to spend the last semester this year.
I became interested in sewing and design mainly because of my aunt. My aunt makes traditional Indian clothes (with a modern flair) as a hobby, and for my cousin's weddings, or when she'd visit, she's always make me something. Once, when she was visiting, she even had a fashion show with pieces that she had brought over from India. They were gorgeous; I kept every piece. Now I want to learn more about sewing and experiment with Eastern and Western designs, traditional and modern garments, fusing cultures and time periods. I want to be able to make what I design.
Currently, my plan is structured as such; first, I must find a place to teach me to sew. My best option is an apprenticeship at Sew Green, which would be free (and possibly with pay, which would help me buy supplies), and would teach me not only sewing, but garment design, and business skills associated with fashion design. I will be learning intensively for a month, and then start designing clothes, and making the clothes I have already designed. At the end of the project, I hope to have five full outfits, with all the necessary accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment