Friday, February 11, 2011

The Interview

Yesterday I was interviewed by Ms. Autumn Newell for an apprenticeship at Sew Green. They seemed to really be what I was looking for, offering lessons in clothing construction and design. Apprentices work at Sew Green, and then get one-on-one lessons when they aren't helping out with the store and school. I'm really excited about both parts of the apprenticeship, since there's a possibility that I can work with kids, as a teaching assistant.
I found out a bit more about Sew Green's goals of environmentally friendly fashion, and got to know Ms. Newell. It turns out that she went to the Fashion Institute of Technology, which is the rival of Shonali's school, which was Parson's (see My Interview with Shonali). She seemed really interested in what she was doing, and made me excited about it as well.
I really hope that I will get the apprenticeship. If not, I will probably take classes at Sew-Green in any case, or try and learn from my friend's mom (she made her own prom dress!), and some of the other people on my list (see Bibliography). Perhaps I can teach myself, though I'd need someone to guide me and help me out when I get stuck...
Anyway, seeing my constraints in schedule, and a shortage of slots, it seems that I will only be going there once or twice a week, and more as I finish my Mock Trial competition and more people finish their apprenticeship. In the mean time, I plan to take apart an old tee-shirt (the jeans were a little too intimidating), and see how the pieces fit together. However, I'm so excited that I'll probably take apart the jeans as well. I'm starting to see the creation of clothing as something more scientific than I had initially imagined. You have to measure each section so that it fits and falls correctly, measuring how large you want your seems to be, making adjustments, and calculating how the proportions will change because of it. Maybe I'm making this a bit too mathmatical, but since I love math, it will be fun to weave in some calculations into my sewing while I'm at it. Who knows, it might be really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment