Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In Class 5/24

Today we shared our creative pieces, and were asked to write a letter to future WISE students on the following:
What do you know now that you didn't know in September (because of your experiences in WISE)?

Dear Future WISE Student,
When you think of entering WISE, you probably are thinking that it would be cool to learn a new trick, or to do something you've never done before. That's all good and fine, but when you think about what you're going to take from what you've learned, you probably won't be able to imagine how WISE would affect you in a deeper, less superficial way than just learning a new trade. For me, WISE opened my eyes to something much more profound. I learned that if I truly set my mind on something, I can achieve it. That was very important for me, since it gave me courage to enter my future education, which I have no experience in.
My project was to learn how to sew, design clothes, and make five full outfits. I ended up making only a few of my designs, however, I learned so much. My dad didn't even believe that it would be possible to make one dress, he later told me. At times, I doubted myself as well, but I ended up not only making a dress, learning to sew, and designing clothes, but I learned about the trade itself. I became more comfortable creating in this new medium, which, prior to WISE, I had been terrified of. Before, I hesitated at a machine, and shied away. Now I jump right on it, and I'm not afraid to try. By learning this new way of expression, I have gained confidence in my ability to learn, and that my perseverance will lead to success.

Good Luck!
Tara Lobo

Something I had forgotten to include in my letter, was that in the past I would often give up if I thought that the task was too daunting, but in this case, I had the courage and motivation to continue. It was worth it. I was also more realitic in my goals, lowering them when necessary, which perhaps helped me stay on track and not lose hope. Finally, I learned that sometimes, it's okay to let go and not be a perfectionist; no matter how badly you want every seam to be perfectly straight, it's not going to happen, so get over it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment