Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sew Green 5/31

Today we were going to start the Nest dress, and at first, we laid out the pattern, and picked out the kind of burlap fabric I was going to use (I forgot the specific name on the spot, for some reason...) I draped it, and it worked well, but then I realized that the pattern had a cowl on the dress. Not only that, but there were no sleaves, and pleats in the wrong places. We started to cut the pattern, and try to adapt it, however it was off-center, and difficult to measure. Sew Green was really busy with apprentices that day, and after a while, Autumn told me that it wasn't going to happen. She told me that if we were to do this dress, she would be pretty much doing the dress for me, and that it would take all of our time. Stunned, I tried to think of how I could occupy myself for the rest of the time I had. I at first looked at the denim skirt, and started to aimlessly rip the seams of my torn jeans, trying not to despair. After a while, I jumped up and started sorting through the fabric I had, looking for something that I could use, and be inspired from. Finally, I settled on the purple stretch-fabric, and the white jersey. The jersey was plain, but the purple fabric was not enough. I decided to make the pattern just the way it was, and then paint the dress. But first, I had tape the pattern back together...
I pinned my fabric to the patterns, and started cutting the fabric. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, and by the end of the day, I had only cut out the front and back, but I was glad to have gotten something done.

No comments:

Post a Comment