Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesday Shopping/ Mentor Meeting 5/11

Shopping at Jo-Ann's was canceled Tuesday (Ms. Lasher had an unexpected meeting)
Wednesday, Ms Lasher had staff meeting, but I enjoyed the sun reading my book in the quad while I waited.
Then set off to Jo-Ann's
On the way, I discussed how I was going to change my project a little. Instead of making just what I had designed, I wanted to make one or two simple white dresses, and paint them like crazy. I've already learned quite a bit about sewing, and although I will progress with learning about patterns and such, I want to have fun with the project as well, and I feel like this will be a good release.
At JoAnn's, I was excited at first, but enthusiasm wore off
Lots of nice cloth, but not what we needed. I was looking for simple white stretch cotton (which I now know is called jersey), but they didn't seem to have some. After searching the whole store, and not finding the right pant material, jersey, or jacket material, I decided to give up and look at patterns instead. I found two (one for a jacket, and the other for a dress), but I'm not sure whether I'm happy with them. As for cloth, I found the tuil which I needed, but spontanenously settled for four yards (way too much) of a horrible linen, which I know I'm going to have to return. I guess I'm returning to JoAnn's. I might just return everything but the tuil, since I'm so frustrated. Sew-Green is so much better shopping. There at least I usually something close to what I'm looking for. At JoAnn's it was hopeless. At least the store clerk was very nice and helpful. She even gave me a coupon for 40% off. The total still came out to be around $40 dollars though, which is almost half of my total budget. That dumb linen is DEFINATELY going back!! I'll post the receipts soon.
THANK YOU SO MUCH MS LASHER FOR COMING WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the absolute bestest ever!
I'm sorry for using up your time! It was helpful though. I learned how people search for patterns (look at pictures in a magazine, and find the number in these huge drawers), and that perhaps JoAnn's isn't the best place unless I need things like zippers, threads, quilting material, or thin polyster material...??

No comments:

Post a Comment