Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday Sewing

I bought a pair of jeans last week, but they were way to long. Today, I decided that I would use my sewing skills to fix another hem. But before I changed the thread color for my jeans, I would finish the rest of my dress.
I needed to change the needle from last time, when I had broken the needle in frustration (I had forgotten to put the needle up as I tore the dress from the machine in my frustration. Really really really bad!)
I finished the side seams completely, all the way to the bottom. They weren't symmetrical, but by that time, I was done because the usual problems of cloth slipping, needle tripping, etc. had caused me to have to rip seams about five times.
I wound the bobbin perfectly (but with the sewing machine instructions just in case) with the new thread for my heans, and moved on to my jeans. I changed the needle to a denim needle, and tried to use the thick thread commonly used for jeans, but it quickly got jammed in the machine. Thankfully everything survived. Using the same denim needle, but with normal khaki thread. It was difficult do to the side seams, which buldged and got in the way.
I had to rip seams about three times because wasn't perfect (hem wasn't even, or just got impatient and rushed it), and even then, it was still uneven.
I then ironed it out for a flat, even hem.
At least it still had its gorgeous flare!
Maybe I'll undo the hem in the future so I can wear the jeans with heels (I think that's what they were meant for, because they are the perfect length with heels).

No comments:

Post a Comment