Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fatherly advice

I just talked to my dad around two minutes ago, because I was worried about my project, and getting started. When I told him I was trying to learn how to sew, but wasn't really going anywhere, he asked me why I hadn't pulled out the machine. I came up with some really lame excuses, and then he said something really important. "You need to become friends with the machine. You're friends with the paintbrush, it's part of your arm, but you're not friends with the machine yet." Basically, I've become afraid of the machine. It's been a good six to eight years since I last used a sewing machine and made perfectly straight lines. The last time I used one was my first time at Sew-Green, and all of my lines were crooked (though I was rushing it a lot). He suggested that I get used to using the sewing machine again by taking an old sheet, and following straight lines, as well as curvy ones, just getting used to sewing again. Old sheets, watch out! I'm coming to get you!

No comments:

Post a Comment