Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In Class 3/8, ** Explanation of the Division of my Blog!

Today in class, we turned in our review of previous journals. I had gotten a journal about corsets, which was actually really helpful. It was what gave me the idea of planning my shopping at Jo-Ann's to fit the sales that are being offered at certain times. The journal had a lot of excitement and emotion, which made me interested to read more, and appreciate a project I might have initially dismissed. She really used her journal to communicate what she wanted, was trying to achieve, etc. I would have liked to have learned more about what she accomplished and how, instead of her complaints, and problems, though that is often not how we write, since a crisis, no matter the size, usually take preference.  I also liked how she drew small diagrams to explain certain details in her notebook that was hard to explain with words. This is one thing I really regret about the blog. I cannot just doodle in the margins ideas, inspirations, or just glue a page ripped from a magazine. One thing I would have liked to have known was how the project was funded. Although the author very proudly (and justifiably so) proclaimed that she had only spent $78 (and kept receipts!!!), we never learned where that money came from. I also would have liked to have found out more about how corsets affected society, and the projected image of women. That could have been a very interesting thesis to explore, though perhaps more of one that I would choose.

Another thing that was clarified during class was that when I was learning to sew, that counted as Research, since it was something I needed to learn in order to complete my project. YES! This is great, because that means that I haven't completely forgotten about research after all (sort of).
The journal is supposed to be equally divided in the following categories:
Planning
Doing (in mine, this is divided between Sketchbook, Learning, Sew-Green, and later Sewing)
Research
Mentor Feedback (in mine, Mentor Meetings)
Class Meetings (in mine, In Class)
Reflection
I might need to work on balancing my journal out, but I don't want to change my organization, since it makes sense to me, and I don't want to get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment