Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hand Sewing

I don't know if this has anything really to do with my project, but today, my parents noticed that ever since I started my project, I've become more confident in mending clothes and toys around the house, despite the fact that my sewing abilities have not yet changed. For example, last week I repaired my brother's favorite stuffed animal, which had a rip about 8 inches long. Then today, I repaired the pocket of my dress coat. Both of these projects were sewed by hand, but at least I'm not so afraid of making a permanent mark on my clothes, and I don't wait until my dad does it (he's the master sewer, and my mom's the one who actually remembers to do it. They're a good pair!). Anyway, I guess it shows that I'm more ready to take things apart/fix things, since I'm curious about how they're sewn together. For example, I was able to see the inner workings of my pocket, which was inside the coat, between the inner and outer layer, rendering it invisible and very difficult to sew. I also found out that some materials are a lot harder to sew than others, and that thread can even pass right through it, so one must always test the fabric, and make sure it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment