Monday, March 21, 2011

Second Day at Sew Green (3/17)




I didn't write about what happened during my second day at Sew-Green partially because I didn't have time to craft a good journal entry, but mostly because I had difficulty putting it into words. Here it goes:
I was really excited to go to Sew-Green on Thursday, since I thought I would be able to start sewing. Unfortunately, Autumn was sick! I feel guilty for being disappointed, but honestly, I was a little. I wish her the best at getting better! So for the first five minutes, I didn't really know what I should do, since everyone had their own project, and I hadn't really started mine. So I went around, looking at other people's work, while they looked at my sketchbook. It was pretty neat, and I wish I could have had more time to see their work.
Then Wendy called me over to look at my sketchbook. Flipping through my sketchbook, she asked me what my goal was. I told her that I wanted to be able to create five of my sketches. She immediately started trying to tell me that it was not possible, and that I should settle for something less, like just sketching, and then making only one of the dresses I had sketched (the simplest one). But I already know how to draw. I want to learn how to SEW. To say the least, I was crestfallen. I know that fashion design students spend years learning about fashion design, but I want to learn as much as I can, and I don't care if I don't finish all of the garments. I want to try.
I tried not to get too disheartened (or worse, cry!), and put on my game face, saying I just wanted to learn, and didn't care if I never finished, but honestly, as it was I was second guessing myself. Having someone put it so bluntly was really sawing away at my confidence. I need to build a thicker skin.
Thankfully, Gir saved me with a destraction, and she started to teach me about draping. We got out a manniquen and a bunch of different fabrics, and I started draping a pinning the fabric onto the body in a resemblence of a dress. The purpose was to feel the different fabrics, and know how they fall. I think I did pretty well! Check out my work below!





She also got out a book on draping, which was a college level book, and had pages and pages on how to make cuts fit the body by using darts. Darts are the seams around the bust, accounting for the chest. They can be really complex. I didn't know there were that many kinds! There are princess seams, darts at the shoulders, and ones that come up from the waist. There was even one that cut accross the breasts and made a t-shape, though that's not very flattering, and is out of style because it flattens the breast.

Draping is important to know what your style is going to look at. From draping, one can sketch what you drape, or even start cutting and sewing while draping. I also learned about sheaths. Sheaths are when you take a basic cut in muslin, and stretch the cloth so that you have perfect corners, and a perfect fit in muslin. Then you can use this muslin template to make more of the same style, or edit the cut to have sleaves, darts in different places, or different versions of the same shape. I will probably be using sheaths at some part, since Autumns said I should use similar bases in my sketches, and build on similar cuts. The only problem is that they are very time consuming and difficult to make, so most people don't use them.

After I was done draping, I took a look at two saris that Gir was planning on buying, and as we were about to leave, I caught out of the corner of my eye a piece of faux fur that would be perfect for my Owl sketch! Wendy let me keep it as a gift, and even gave me a special box to keep it in! I was really excited.

We then started talking about manniquens. I had seen some duck-taped mannequins that people had made to fit their own bodies, and asked how it was done. Basically you wear an old t-shirt and get taped all around with duck tape. Then the duck-tape cast is cut off of you, and stuffed, and you have your own model! I was really excited at first, thinking I would have a really cheap mannequin, when suddenly I thought about the duck tape. When I asked Wendy how much it took, she said I would need 3 rolls, or 15 dollars worth! I know this may not sound like much, but with my $100 budget, it would be really a blow on my finances. I don't know if I'll be able to make one, at least not right away. Right now, my plan of using myself and stuffed animals seems like my cheapest alternative.

Then we had to leave, since a class was starting. On the way out though, Wendy asked me if I realized that Gir was just a helper, and that I was not Gir's apprentice. I wonder why she asked me that? I know that Autumn is my mentor, and I hope that I was not imposing on Gir. After all, it wasn't very busy that day, and Gir had been really excited to teach me draping.

I hope that at the next Sew-Green session, I will be able to start on my dress, and if not, be able to start learning how to make a certain kind of garment, even if it's a simple t-shirt.

Oh! One last thing! At my first Sew-Green meeting, I seemed to have lost an article that was one of my main inspirations. I was really sad about it, but then I did a thourough search on the internet, and what do you know? After about three search sessions, I found it hidden in someone's wedding blog! It's an Oscar de la Renta wedding gown! I love Oscar de la Renta. I posted it below. Enjoy!

http://honeybeeweddings.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-love-you-oscar-de-la-renta.html


No comments:

Post a Comment