Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mentor Meeting 3/15

Since we had been told to bring in something from our project to share in class on Tuesday, I decided to have our mentor meeting on Tuesday instead. Besides, last week it was on a Monday, so we're a little off, and that's okay. Sometimes we talk about the project outside of our meetings too, so I guess we have an ongoing series of newsflashes.
Anyway, today I showed her my sketchbook for the first time. I really like how Ms. Lasher boosts my confidence, and convinces me that I'm not doing a bad job, and that I'm on track. Sometimes I need that when I'm being really critical. We looked at the sketches so far (I'm sorry I haven't shown you the flat sketches so far, they're coming!), and I talked to her about my newer designs (also coming).
One design, (that's not up yet) was something inspired by Project Runway. It's made of muslin (like the episode when they had to design a dress made from a potato sack), and it's ultra cheap, but ultra mod and almost a prom dress. It's really awesome, but I was having trouble connecting it to the theme that I chose of Birds of a Feather (I just came up with that title. I like it!!). It is in the natural color of muslin (of white/tan), and is really natural looking, with a really modern cut, and champagne tulle (I've been spelling it wrong) that makes it suddenly a lot more sophisticated. At first I tried to alter the neckline, and make it a zip up neck that looks like a beak, but I think that that design will have to be for a different dress. Then, Ms Lasher gave me the awesome idea that it's the Bird's Nest, and I added that the model would wear a chunky turquoise necklace for the robins eggs! It was PERFECT. I had been so set on this dress, I would have been really disappointed to drop it just because of it not fitting with the theme, so I was really excited to be able to use this design. Ms Lasher also voiced a concern that if it's not sewn correctly, the pleating might make the model look pregnant, so when I went home, I looked at my prom dress, to see how it had been pleated, and copied the sewing technique onto my flat sketches. Finally, we thought that perhaps the tulle could be replaced with frayed burlap, making it even more green and cheap, but edgier at the same time.
I love Ms. Lasher. She gives me such good ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment