Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sew Green 3/31

Today I walked to Sew-Green! I felt guilty for always driving, it was nice weather, my parents said they could pick me up when I was done. It was perfect! The walk was really nice and refreshing, and I got there 15 minutes early! I'll definately make a habit of this (despite the heaviness of the stuff I have to carry) if it's nice weather.
I started off at Sew-Green today by cutting out the front piece for my fabric. It was the same length as the first piece, just ten inches longer because of the cowl. I had brought in two old dresses and a shirt with a cowl. The old dresses will be used as scrap/inspiration/material, while the shirt I brought in to copy the cowl. I love that shirt. It's a purple, babyphat cowl necked shirt, and although I can't wear it easily in Ithaca, I wear it a lot to parties and in Miami. After seeing how the cowl looked when finished, and discussing some ideas on how I wanted it to look, I started draping the cowl. There will be enough cloth since Autumn decided that although draping along the bias would give a better affect (the fabric I'm working with is a little too heavy), draping along the lenghth will be fine.
Draping took me a long time, in fact, longer than it should have. I only got it off the mannequin towards the end of the session. I first pinned the cloth the way I wanted it (which took the most time), and then tried to smoothen the fabric along the body, getting rid of any puckers. I soon realized that due to the cowl, the boddice was never going to be smooth. Because of that, I thought, why not exaggerate the folds, and make tucks instead? Unfortunately, this idea was only thought of after an hour of struggling. I was being a little bit too perfectionistic, and perhaps something I really should learn during this project is to try one's best, but then let go a bit, and be willing to let a little bulge here and there go (or else I'll never finish!). Once Autumn approved my work, I drew with chalk the seam of my dress (litterally! right on the cloth, over all of the pins and bunches). I then kept the pins for the draping of the cowl, but removed all of the other ones and took the cloth OFF the mannequin! I was really impressed how litteral of a translation it was from mannequin to straight cloth. I thought it would be a lot harder.
I'm going to start sewing next time! So exciting!
I also asked for another copy of the sewing machine parts, so FINALLY I have the list! (I had forgotten it the first time, and kept on forgetting to ask for a new one). I know pretty much all of the parts, but it's nice to have a copy for reference.
I also asked for five more bags to sew for practice. This will kill two birds with one stone, since I can help kids by making school bags, and practice sewing at the same time (though we'll see how much time I get for that!)
Finally, I found out that Sew-Green actually has a box of patterns that I might be able to use/borrow! This will definately help me get a head start on making real clothes! Unfortunately the box was hidden today, and we were unable to find it. :( Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment